Have you ever wondered how your style can appear ‘sexy’ to the opposite sex? We know what it looks like for women, think Tom Ford. But is there a male version? A look that men can adopt that would make women swoon. In the dating game, she’ll form an opinion on you before you’ve even opened your mouth. What you’re wearing could be the difference between her giving you the cold shoulder or thinking you’re her Ryan Gosling.
The first point I want to make clear here is there will be no ‘one-size fits all’ look that is going to have every woman wanting to do the dirty with you. You could ask 50 women what clothes they found attractive on a man and you’d get range of answers. Just as you would if you asked your friends to do the same for women. But you will see common themes and it’s those themes that I want to explore.
- The suit – Nothing says ‘sexy’ on a guy like a suit. There’s a few reasons why a suit is like sartorial sex panther. The first is they’re crafted to highlight all the great features of a man’s body… broad shoulders, nipped in waist. Which is the perfect silhouette. They’re a status symbol for the discerning gentleman. You see a guy walking down the street in a well fitted suit and you think he must be important. The final reason is that I’ve yet to hear a woman say she doesn’t find a guy more attractive in a suit. I’m sure there are some out there, but I’ve yet to hear from them.
- There’s another reason why a suit sets you apart. The casual invasion that guest writer Clarke O’Gara talked about last year. Everyone is dressing more casual. Except for a select few occupations, smart-casual seems to be the standard office attire. So the suit will really make a lady stand up and take notice. If you do have to go down the casual approach try keeping some tailored elements in your look.
- The fit – This really should be number one. You could wear a suit and still look like crap if it doesn’t fit you right. The fit is the first thing I work on with my clients because it has the biggest impact on their style. Most average guys don’t recognise this. But it’s really crucial that no matter what you’re wearing you have it down, if it’s not, you’ll look like you just rolled off your mum’s sofa. Who wants a guy that sleeps on his mum’s couch?
- Accessories – Us guys, we’re pretty rubbish at accessorising. But this is a great opportunity for you to express your character. We know that you want a lady to like you for you, so show her what you’re about through your accessories. Be sure to avoid anything cartoony like novelty ties and big transformer belt buckles. But here you can be a little bit more adventurous, again setting yourself apart from the rest of the pack. It’ll also give women an opportunity to compliment you. I can’t count the number of times women have grabbed a bow tie or even tried to steal a necklace.
- Roll up your sleeves – Wearing a shirt with nothing on top? Then roll up your sleeves to just before the elbow. Nothing says cool like this and it beats trying to show off your biceps in tees that are a size too small or pecs in too-tight vests.
- Grooming – Women are great at noticing small details that we over look or are oblivious to. It’s why they notice things like scruffy shoes when you’re probably thinking she won’t be looking at your feet! So make sure you’re well-groomed. Little things like long nails (urgh!), smelling fresh, not looking like teen wolf are all great steps in giving you a sexy appeal. You can look dishevelled and well groomed so there’s no excuses. For more grooming tips check out guest writer, Fee’s guide.
So these are the starting points to looking that ever bit more ‘sexier’. By no means are these the be all and end all. Go out there and chat to women and go on dates. Get your own feedback and build confidence because a confident guy is the ultimate ‘sexy’ look for a man.
If you’re a guy I’d love to hear about your own experiences and ladies I’d love to what you find sexy on a man?
(photos: digboston, asuithatfits)